Worship Music Thoughts - Praise & Worship P&W

This is a place for Christians to discuss what song Worship is. How do we do it? What works well? How do we balance many issues facing us? Tough questions will be asked. We can also share favorites (songs, bands, websites) and worst "favorites" (songs, bands, etc). I hope to learn and grow and get some great ideas.

Name:
Location: Eagle Grove, Iowa, United States

I was born in 1973 in Zaire, Africa. My parents, aunts, uncles, and grandparents on my mom’s side were all missionaries with the Evangelical Free Church in Zaire. I graduated from boarding school in Zaire (Ubangi Academy) in 1991 and went to Moody Bible Institute. I spent my summers working at Hidden Acres, the Evangelical Free Church camp in Iowa and it was there I met my lovely and gracious wife, Lori (though we didn’t fall in love there). I received a B.A. in Youth Ministry from Moody and spent over 5 years in an Independent Baptist Church in rural Michigan. I left there at God’s call in 2002 to serve at Grace Evangelical Free Church in Eagle Grove, Iowa, as the Youth Pastor. I have an incredible son, Benjamin, and a beautiful daughter, Elise. My wife is a huge part of our ministry with the youth. I am currently pursuing (slowly) a Master of Arts and Religion from Reformed Theological Seminary through their virtual campus (distance education). My passions are for the glory of God, my family, guitar, volleyball, sports in general, and students. Though the future is unclear, I believe God has called me to “full-time” ministry.

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Blessed Assurance - I changed it up a bit- in 4/4

I am not a big fan of turn of the 20th century songs for the most part (there are a few, not all, Fanny Crosby songs that I like). I love to try to make hymns more contemporary or more guitar friendly - and often add a little bite to them.

I am sure I'm not the first to try that with Blessed Assurance... but I thought I'd share my version of it. I'm not sure I'm allowed to post both text and chords... so I'll just do the chords. The song is written in 9/8 and I play it in 4/4. I strum mostly a down strum on the 1/8 notes - with a few up strums thrown in. Kind of a slow rock feel. My guess is that my tempo is at about 75-80 beats a minute. I haven't played it with a full band yet, but will this Sunday. I'm excited to hear the electric come in on the chorus.

VERSE

D G/D D

A/E E A A7

D G/D D

G Em A D G/A


CHORUS

D G

G D/F# E A E7 A7

D G D

D/F# G Em A D (A = turnaround)


Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home